Rick Wiegmann Koshko's compendium of links
Links are not endorsements. Likewise, omission doesn't necessarily mean anything either. Proceed at your own risk. As far as I know, there's nothing harmful in these links.
But you never know when someone could get hacked, put up something hateful, or lose the domain to someone
who puts up something not so nice. I intend to have a lot of links here, so I may not be able to keep everything up to date.
Use of these links in a manner inconsistent with their labeling is a violation of federal law. Or maybe it isn't. I don't really know. There are a lot of federal laws
and nobody has time to read them all.
I hope you like the retro look. I don't need to use a lot of bandwidth for this, so I won't.
Some of these are alphabetized. Mostly, I'm putting things on here in order of importance to me or just whatever order I thought of them in.
Radio, TV, DXing, ham radio, and things like that
- Federal Communications Commission home page
- U.S. Medium Wave Pattern References by NF8M, shows where the radio signals for numerous AM stations theoretically go
- American Radio Relay League for ham radio info
- International Radio Club of America DXers' club
- National Radio Club DXers' club
- Universal Radio closed radio store selling off its stock. Lots of specs on radios--many no longer in production
- World of Radio DXing program heard on shortwave and on podcasts too
- William Hepburn's DX Info Centre Tropospheric Ducting Forecast attempts to tell you when you might get VHF signals from much farther away than usual thanks to weather conditions
- Radio Museum info about antique radios
- The Radio Historian sells calendars with colorized pictures of long ago radio station scenes
- DX Central contests and more
- Distance between two points if you know the coordinates, useful for figuring out DX distances
- Distance From To, distance between two locations if you just know the names
- Short Wave Info schedules, frequencies, languages, lookups, etc.
- Radio Locator coverage maps
- Global Tuners radio receivers online around the world
- Kiwi SDR may get a reboot. The original Kiwi receivers are no longer in production. But interest is being polled now in a new line of Kiwis.
In any case, I hope the receivers now out there stay online for a long time and this web site for them too.
- St. Louis Media History
- Medium Wave Info blog about medium wave around the world
- HF Underground has many forums for non-licensed (pirate, Part 15, etc.) radio enthusiasts
- Morse Code World
- RufzXP for challenges listening to call signs sent in faster and faster Morse
- FCC Proceedings & Actions Daily Digest for call letter changes, station sale approvals, more
- AADE Filter Design program download
- AM license query from FCC
- Azimuth map made for any location from NS6T
- Azimuthal map source code
- Ghosts in the Air Glow "transmission art work" or slow scan TV experiment
- Radio Heritage collecting stories and memorabilia about radio from around the world
- Radio Discussions message boards
- Business Studies: Broadcasting and Its History info with a timeline going back to 1906
News (Some may require logins and/or paid subscriptions for some or all content.)
- ABC 7 Chicago traffic map
- News-Tribune newspaper LaSalle, IL
- Roll Call newspaper on Capitol Hill
- The Times newspaper Ottawa, IL
- WCSJ Radio Morris, IL
- WGLT Radio Normal, IL
- WJBC Radio Bloomington, IL
- WLPO Radio Oglesby, IL
- WNIJ Radio Northern Illinois University, Dekalb, IL
- WSPL Radio Streator, IL
- WSPY Radio Plano, IL
News part 2 (career)
News part 3 (info sources)
Astronomy (Not astrology. I don't do astrology.)
- SkyCaramba is mine
- Sky & Telescope magazine
- Astronomy magazine
- American Meteor Society
- International Occultation Timing Association Win Occult program for studying occultations
- Stellarium free planetarium program
- Celestia simulates travel through space at any speed with realistic views
- Home Planet for 32-bit Windows looks a little primitive now, but it has useful features like an orrery
- Shadow & Substance interesting presentations of astronomical sights by Larry Koehn
- NASA eclipse page archive not being updated anymore, but let's hope this fantastic resource of Besselian elements, maps, etc. will stay online
- Society for Popular Astronomy
- Light Pollution Map
- Space Weather auroral forecasts, sunspots, geomagnetic storms, and near earth objects
- Aurora Alerts Softserve News site
- BBC Sky at Night Magazine about astronomy in the U.K.
- EarthSky.org has lots of astronomy and some other science too
- Solar Terrestrial Dispatch current solar activity plot
- The Aurora Page from Michigan Tech
- Auroras - Paintings in the Sky
- Sea and Sky astronomy pages (there are ocean related pages too)
- Sea and Sky astronomy events calendars
- Sky News, where the earth meets the sky Canadian astronomy site, not the British Sky News
- Constellation of Words list of stars. Okay, this is mainly an astrology site. I include it here because there's lots of info about star name meanings. I still don't do astrology.
- Bulletin A latest version from International Earth Rotation and Reference Systems Service for the latest delta T value
- Live World Map of Satellite Positions from In-The-Sky.org
Internet search engines, portals, and guides
- Irfan View amazing free picture viewer and editor. It can't do everything, but it does a lot!
- EZ Gif animated GIFs made easy
- Image Flip animated GIF maker is free but with Imgflip watermark and size limits
Useful software and services (maybe I should just say miscellaneous)
Time (not the magazine)
American Sign Language
Personal websites of people I know